If your scalp feels excessively oily, dry and itchy or just hasn’t been looking its best lately? It might be time to consider a scalp detox treatment. After all, beautiful hair starts with a healthy scalp and your scalp is the foundation from which your hair grows. Unfortunately, your scalp is also prone to buildup, which can be a barrier to new hair growth and lead to adverse scalp conditions.
Performing a regular hair and scalp detox is the secret to growing longer, healthier hair and improving your scalp condition overall. Here are some common signs of scalp buildup, plus everything you need to know to detoxify and rebalance your hair and scalp at home.
WHAT IS A SCALP DETOX?
A scalp detox is essentially a deep cleansing and rebalancing of the scalp to create a better environment for healthy skin and hair. It involves using a scalp cleansing treatment that’s formulated to remove residue from hair products, natural oils, dead skin cells, and hard water, followed by a nourishing scalp treatment that hydrates and promotes a healthy pH level and balances your scalp microbiome.
SIGNS YOU MIGHT NEED A SCALP DETOX
So, how do you know you need a scalp detox? The following signs can indicate an excess build-up of product, oil, and residue, which can indicate that it’s time for a scalp detox.
- Your Scalp is Oily: An oily scalp can be a sign of an imbalance in the scalp’s microbiome. Imbalances often result in overactive sebum glands in the scalp, which promote the production of excess oil. The excess oil then attracts residue at the roots, leading to buildup which clogs the pores and hair follicles.
- Your Scalp is Itchy: An itchy scalp is often a sign of inflammation, which can be caused by a buildup of product or residue at the roots.
- You Have Flakiness or Dandruff: Flakiness and dandruff aren’t only undesired, but they’re also signs of unhealthy scalp. Seasonal changes can also lead to a dry, flaky scalp and a detox helps restore moisture and balance.
- You Notice Increased Shedding or Fallout: If you’re noticing more fallout or shedding than usual, it may be time to consider a scalp detox. This can be caused by poor circulation in the scalp from excess build-up in the hair follicles.
- Your Scalp Has an Unpleasant Smell: If you notice that your scalp has an unpleasant odor, it could be a sign of inflammation caused by buildup. A healthy scalp shouldn’t have any smell.
- Your Scalp is Sensitive: If your scalp is sensitive or even painful, a scalp detox may help. Scalp pain can be caused by inflammation due to buildup in the hair follicles. However, if your scalp still hurts after a detox, it’s time to call your dermatologist, as it could be a sign of something more serious.
THE BENEFITS OF A SCALP DETOX
The primary benefit of a scalp detox is that it removes excess buildup and rebalances the scalp. But there are many other potential benefits, too. They include:
- Reduced dryness, itchiness, and flakiness of the scalp
- Reduced scalp inflammation and sensitivity
- Reduced oiliness
- Improved hair growth
- Softer, shinier hair
- Fuller, thicker hair
- Improved hair manageability and easier styling
BEST INGREDIENTS FOR DETOXING AND BALANCING THE HAIR AND SCALP
So, what should you be looking for when purchasing products for a scalp detox? You’ll need a clarifying or exfoliating shampoo to deeply cleanse and remove buildup, plus a nourishing scalp treatment to rebalance and hydrate the scalp.
When shopping for a scalp cleansing treatment, look for one or more of the following ingredients: physical or chemical exfoliants, activated clay or charcoal, chelating agents, surfactants and apple cider vinegar.
HOW TO DO A HAIR AND SCALP DETOX
Detoxifying and rebalancing the scalp is a two-step process. Here’s how to do a scalp detox at home.
STEP ONE: A SCALP CLEANSING TREATMENT TO REMOVE BUILDUP
To ensure that your scalp is thoroughly cleansed and free of all buildup, massage a clarifying or exfoliating shampoo into the skin with your fingertips. Be sure to focus on the scalp, rather than the hair itself. Rinse thoroughly and repeat, then follow up with your favorite conditioner.
STEP TWO: A NOURISHING SCALP TREATMENT TO PROMOTE SCALP HEALTH
Once your hair is dry, apply the She’s Happy Hair Tea Tree Oil, which double as a detox treatment, directly onto the scalp in 1-inch sections, moving from the hairline to the crown. Gently massage the treatment into your scalp for about five minutes to ensure that it’s evenly distributed. Massaging your scalp is also beneficial for stimulating the hair follicles, which may encourage hair growth.
Allow the scalp treatment to absorb overnight. There’s no need to rinse, but if you do notice residue in the morning, you can simply wash your hair. The active ingredients will have plenty of time to work their magic overnight.
Related Article: WHY TEA TREE OIL WORKS FOR HAIR GROWTH